1st February 2018
Our head chef Craig Middleton cooks up this seasons dish for you to try at home.
“Red mullet is one of my favourite fish. It’s the most prized fish of the Mediterranean with a rich, crimson skin and delicate flavour. A variety of red mullet can also be found in the Atlantic, and around the south coast of Britain. This dish is very refreshing, with the sweet acidity of the oranges and lemon working with the savoury flavour of the spring onions. The dressing can be made well in advance, which makes it a simple dish to finish. The addition of soft, creamy mashed potato balances all of these flavours and sits beautifully under the crisp pan fried red mullet fillets.”
The pan fried Red Mullet, seared oranges, spring onions, whipped clotted cream potatoes
Serves 4 as a starter
4 Fillets Of Red Mullet Butter
Drop Of Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Mashed Potato 10oz
FOR THE GARNISH
1 Large Orange (Segmented)
Caster Sugar (Optional)
8 Spring Onions
FOR THE DRESSING
3 Tablespoons Of White Wine Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Of Water
Tuile Of 3 Oranges & 1 Curl Of Zest
Tuile Of 1 Lemon & 1 Curl Of Zest
1 Small Shallot (Chopped)
2-3 Coriander Seeds
1 Star Anise
TO PREPARE THE DRESSING
- Combine the white vinegar and water together and boil to reduce by half.
- Add the juices, zests, chopped shallots, coriander & star anise. This will increase the flavour and consistency to a rich, thick, syrup juice.
- Push through a fine sieve. The dressing is now ready.
TO MAKE THE GARNISH
- Segment the oranges and sprinkle with caster sugar. Then colour under the grill or with a gas gun.
- The spring onions are best cut at an angle. Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute.
TO COOK THE FISH
- Season with flour, salt and pepper. Coat the skin of the mullet and then lightly brush with butter.
- Heat the frying pan with a drop of olive oil. The fillets can now be laid in skin side down over a medium heat. The fillets will take 3-4 minutes to become crisp and golden then turn the fillets over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- The clotted cream mashed potatoes turn the dish into a dream. The potato can be piped or spooned, place the fillets on the potato with the citrus dressing drizzled around.