The purpose of this accessibility guide is to help you make an informed decision as to whether The Imperial Hotel will be suitable for you and your family, friends and colleagues. We are committed to improving accessibility for all guests and visitors whatever your requirements so that you can enjoy your stay with us. We hope that you find this information useful and beneficial.
However, we are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if you have any questions or if there is anything not covered in the information that follows, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
At a Glance
- The main hotel is a building of four floors. We also have an annexe building called River Court which is located across the front car park and consists of 8 bedrooms. The annexe is a building of 2 floors with 2 steps and a ramp to the annexe doors.
- The majority of bedrooms are located in the main hotel across 3 floors.
- The ground floor areas of the main hotel provides the lounge, bar, dining, meeting rooms and function areas
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor.
- All public rooms have plenty of natural light.
- All bedrooms and corridors are well lit with contrasting flooring and walls.
- The hotel does allow dogs but only in the River Court building.
- There is free wifi available throughout the hotel.
- There is good mobile reception throughout the hotel and every bedroom has a telephone.
- The fire alarms are tested weekly. You will be made aware when they are if it is planned during your stay. Information about the fire alarm test can also be found in the online room information.
- There is a drop-off point at the main entrance to the hotel.
- There is 1 designated disabled parking space in the car park at the front of the hotel. This space is available to those with a blue disability badge. If this space is not available when you arrive, you can request that a parking cone at the front of the hotel is reserved for you for the duration of your stay. This can be arranged at the time of booking or when you arrive.
- Entrance to the front of the hotel is via a ramp.
- The width of the entrance door is 1350 mm.
- Porters are always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered directly to your room. A porter can also help you upon departure.
- The main front car park is 8 metres from the hotel entrance. The rear car park is located behind the main hotel and is barrier operated. A parking token can be collected from Reception when you wish to exit the car park.
- The rear car park is 8 meters from the rear entrance of the main hotel.
Getting Around the Hotel
- The flooring is carpet.
- The height of the reception desk is 1300mm. There is seating available in the Foyer area of the main hotel with a selection of sofas, armchairs and tall back seats present.
- The lighting is LED downlighting.
- Hearing loops are currently unavailable.
- All corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The Arlington Restaurant, Colours Bar, Terrace Lounge, Tower Suite, Grenville Suite and Kingsley Suite are on the entrance level.
- There Arlington Restaurant, Colours Bar, Grenville Suite & Kingsley Suite are accessible from the main foyer with level assess.
- The Terrace Lounge and Tower Suite are accessible via two steps or a ramp.
- To permit free movement, automatic door release mechanisms are used in some parts of the building. Doors fitted with this type of closure will shut if the fire alarm system operates
- The width of all doorways varies.
- The Arlington Restaurant doorway is 1730 mm. The Colours Bar doorway is 1340mm, the main Terrace lounge doorway is 710mm, the Tower Suite doorway is 790mm and the main Kingsley Suite doorway is 770mm. There is further access into our Kingsley suite from our Colours Bar, the doorway is 1340mm.
- Wall sockets are located throughout the ground floor.
- The majority of areas on the ground floor are carpeted.
- The floor in The Arlington Restaurant is carpet.
- There is ample movable seating and there are chairs with or without arms available.
- There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is a mixture of buffet and table service for Breakfast service and Full waiter service is provided for Lunch and Dinner Service.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text.
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus.
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for.
- The hotel does not have any Leisure facilities onsite, however our guests have complimentary use of the Leisure facilities at The Barnstaple Hotel.
- There are 20 steps up to the first floor. Each step is 16 cm high and 29 cm deep.
- Leading from the 1st floor up to the 2nd floor landing area, there are 15 steps. Each of these steps are 16.5cm high and 26cm deep.
- Due to the age and layout of the building, there are a few steps to rooms from the main landing areas. The location of these steps can be discussed during booking.
- There are hand rails on all staircases/steps.
- There is a lift to all floors in the main hotel.
- In River Court building, there are 2 sets of staircases leading up to 2x front facing rooms and 2x standard grades of rooms. There are 15 steps on each staircase. These steps are 22cm high and 26cm deep.
- The majority of bedrooms are located in the Main hotel with 55 bedrooms which are accessible by stairs as well as a Lift to all floors.
- The River Court annexe building occupies 8 bedrooms, which includes 4 ground floor rooms. 4 x 1st Floor rooms in this building are accessible by stairs only. There is no lift in this annexe building.
- The entry door threshold height into the River Court building is 1920 mm.
- The width of the main entry door into the River Court Building is 750mm.
- The width of the bedroom doors in this building is 830mm.
- The entry threshold height into the bedrooms in this building is
- A Deafgard fire alarm listening device is available at reception.
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets.
- All bedrooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request.
- The majority of bedding is 'non-feather'. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
- All bedrooms are 'non-smoking'.
- There is a telephone available in all bedrooms.
- All bedrooms have en-suite facilities
- Plugs are available on both sides of the bed in all Double / King Size bedrooms.
- Our single beds are 3 feet, double beds are 5 feet and super king beds are 6 feet.
- The amount of space around the bed varies depending on the room type reserved. Our reservations team can discuss this with you when booking.
- The majority of beds can be split into twin beds. However, this is not possible in some bedrooms.
- Our bedding is nonallergic.
- All bedrooms have either curtains or blinds.
- All bedrooms have a full-length mirror and also a dressing table mirror.
- All bedrooms have wardrobes of various sizes.
- TV's have subtitles available.
- We have 1x accessible room which is located on the 1st floor and near the Lift. This room consists of a wet room and a lowered sink which is accessible for wheelchairs as well as a Nurse Call emergency assistance which is linked to reception. The doorway is 810mm. This room also accommodates lowered light switches for easy use.
Bathrooms & Shower Rooms
- Ladies' and Gents toilets are available on the ground floor, close to the restaurant and bar.
- Baby changing facilities are available in the disabled toilet on the ground floor.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor. This area is 2.5 metres X 1.5metres.
- The room is well lit and the floor is tiled.
- The access door opens outwards.
- An emergency assistance alarm system is installed.
- Two supporting grab rails are provided.
- The toilet flush is a paddle type design for ease of use.
- The toilet is at a specific height to make it easier for wheelchair users to transfer and for those with mobility issues to use it without needing to bend as far.
- The wash basin is accessible to wheelchair users
- There is a lever-handle tap or a tap for ease of use.
- Accessible shower room facilities are available in a selection of hotel bedrooms.
Please reserve the following equipment when you make your booking. If you require anything that is not listed below, please contact us and we will do our utmost to arrange the hire on your behalf.
- Bath benches/seats
- Bath steps
- Raised toilet seats
- Shower stool
- High Chair
- Z Beds
Some bedrooms have minibars, suitable for the storage of medication and the hotel will endeavour to allocate these on requests of this facility. Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can be charged in the Concierge room.
- The fire alarm is a continuous sounder and does not have flashing lights.
- Deafgards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Fire action notices are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- A personal emergency evacuation plan can be agreed upon arrival with guests.
This website (brend-imperial.co.uk) is run by Percy R Brend & Sons (Hoteliers) Ltd. We aim to provide a website that is accessible to a wide audience, regardless of technology or ability.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website and welcome any suggestions users might have to help us do so. If you feel that we are not meeting your accessibility requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Accessibility Guide but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this guide. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.